Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance Day



Today in Australia and in Commonwealth countries around the world, we celebrate the contribution of our soldiers that have died for their nation. It is a time to reflect, respect and never forget that the society and freedoms we enjoy today have been built upon the sacrifices of others.

At 11am AEST, a minute's silence was observed to mark this occasion. This is a tradition that commenced with the end of WWI and will be echoed throughout each Commonwealth nation as their days tick over to the 11th November.

Perhaps this opportunity for reflection has made me a little sentimental but I would like to share an amazing video I found about the Everest Region in Nepal.

http://vimeo.com/14622087


Naturally I found it whilst studying... Is it relevant to my units of study I hear you ask? Absolutely not - don't be ridiculous!  But it is particularly poignant as it serves as a tangible reminder of my trek to Mt Everest 12 years ago. It really
 isn't about me at all but the beauty of the Himalayas and the people that dwell within her harsh but stunning environment.  My own personal acknowledgement, if you will, of a place that changed me forever.

A lesson for us all on this day is to hold dear to that which defines you, discard that which does not and celebrate those whose contributions enable you to enjoy the life you lead.


If you would like to find out more about Remembrance Day, please see the following link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day



Lest We Forget



No comments:

Post a Comment